I’m sure we’re all very glad that 2021 is almost over! I have no doubt 2022 (just like 2020) is probably going to be the same, but for the moment, a new year always feels like a fresh start, so I’m going to ride that wave until it inevitably changes.
In the meantime, I thought it would be a good idea to share the things that got me through 2021 — from books, to shows, to podcasts, to movies and everything else in between!
- The Kingdoms: This was my favourite book of 2021 and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since I read it!
- Dark Rise: My most anticipated 2021 new release, I was so excited for it the entire year
- Heated Rivalry: I read this book twice this year because it was so incredible!
- Winter’s Orbit: Same for this one!
- Bonds of Brass: I became obsessed with queer sci-fi after reading this book!
- All Marvel TV Shows: Honestly, Marvel shows got me through this year. I obsessively waited, watched, and theorised along with the rest of the world! If it hadn’t been for these shows as something to look forward to, I don’t know what I would have done
- Adventure Time: I rewatched this show TWICE this year! So Adventure Time definitely got me through this year!
- Steven Universe: Another show I rewatched this year! I find comfort in rewatching old shows I loved
- Spider-Man: No Way Home: Obviously, this was the movie of the year! I had been anticipating it the entire year
- Avengers: Endgame: I rewatched this movie four times this year, help
- Knives Out: Another rewatch!
- Into the Spider Verse: Honestly, one of the best Spider-Man movies ever
- Little Women: Yeah, I rewatched this too many times
- You’re Wrong About: Obsessed with this podcast, and I always will be! I re-listened to so many episodes
- Maintenance Phase: Didn’t think I would like this podcast so much, but I ended up bingeing it!
- Witch, Please: Will never get over how intellectual this podcast makes me feel
- Binchtopia: So interesting and I loved every episode I’ve listened to so far
- Finding Drago: Such a random podcast, but I was hooked!
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: I played this game twice this year, including on Master Mode, and it will go down as my favourite video game ever
- Animal Crossing: I restarted my island and I’m enjoying this game so much more now that I know what I’m doing!
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening: This game was fun if a little frustrating, but I conquered it!
- Fearless (Taylor’s Version): I hadn’t listened to any of Taylor’s older music until this rerelease and I fell in love with it! Fearless is my favourite song from the album
- Red (Taylor’s Version): All Too Well. Enough said
- Montero: I will never get over how good this album is!
- Fine Line: Harry Styles never fails
- Sour: Olivia Rodrigo won 2021
- Ungodly Hour: I had this album on repeat for the first half of 2021
- Plastic Hearts: Miley Cyrus as a rock legend — yes
I became even more obsessed with YouTube this year, especially as I discovered video essays. I watched a lot and here are some of my favourite videos from each YouTuber!
Dylan Is In Trouble
Skincare definitely got me through 2021. There’s nothing like having a bad or stressful day and then spending a good amount of time doing your skincare at the end of the day.
My favourite brands are:
- Kate Somerville
- Ultra Violette
- Glow Recipe
How did a pair of cream Reeboks sneakers get me through 2021? By looking awesome. I’m obsessed with these shoes and I wear them almost everyday.
My gold mirror
I bought this mirror for my birthday in February this year and I’ve adored it since. It’s so beautiful and makes my bedroom look lovely! Also, ignore Kylo Ren in the background.
I bought a planner for the first time this year and I immediately became obsessed with it! I printed photos and pictures and decorated it! I have another planner for 2022 and I’m even more excited. For anyone who wants to know what kind of planner this is, it’s the Hobonichi Cousin.