It’s currently Autumn in Australia and, as we’re all in lockdown, there’s not much we can do aside from watch too much TV and read too many books. Ignoring lockdown, I do have quite a few books I want to read during the Autumn season. Some of these books are ARCs, some are books I’ve been meaning to read for a while, and some are books that I feel like just go with the Autumn atheistic.
Here’s my list!
- Crescent City: This is Sarah J. Maas’ adult debut and I’m lowkey excited to read it. I really didn’t think I would be, but when I saw it at my work, I impulse bought it. And now it’s staring at me on my shelf…
- The Mercies: This is another debut about an island of women in the 1600s, and how their peace is shattered when a man shows up and claims they’re all witches. Very excited for this!
- The City We Became: A new SFF book by N.K. Jemisin about cities coming to life? Say no more.
- The Ragged Blade: This is a fantasy book about a man who escapes his husband, an evil king, with their daughter and how the husband is searching for them. Sounds amazing.
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: Kind of intimidated to read this book but I’m going to try anyway!
- The Ascent to Godhood: This is the last book in a novella series, but you don’t need to read the series in order. I’m starting with this last book because it’s the one that intrigues me the most: f/f enemies to lovers.
- A Conspiracy of Truths: I’ve been meaning to read this fantasy books for almost a whole year! I NEED to read it this Autumn.
- The Dutch House: I got this book as a present for Christmas and need to read it ASAP. I’ve also heard Tom Hanks narrates the audiobook so …
- Steel Crow Saga: My friend Silvia is super obsessed with this book and I do own it on audio already, so I see myself listening to this on my walks!
- The Luminous Dead: This is a recent addition to my TBR and that’s because it’s horror/sci-fi and f/f. Plus, look how cool that cover is!
- Empire of Sand: My friend Steffy LOVES this book and we have extremely similar tastes in books, so I trust her recs! I don’t know what it’s about and I don’t want to, I rather go in blind.
- Before the Coffee Gets Cold: This translated Japanese novel just sounds so cute and I need to read it. It’s about a coffee shop that allows you to time travel, but you have to get back before your coffee gets cold.
- Homegoing: I only recently came across this book by watching a booktuber (forgotten which one now) and this sounds like I’m going to love it!
- The Shadow of the Wind: This is a book I’ve added and then removed and then added to my TBR multiple times, and now I’m finally keeping it on here because I just realised it’s magical realism, and I love magical realism.
- The Scum Villain’s Self-Saving System: This is the first book written by MoXiang TongXiu, author of Mo Dao Zu Shi and Tian Guan Ci Fu which I adore. I’ve heard this book is divisive, you either love it or hate it. Two of my friends who’s opinion I trust didn’t like it, but one mentioned that it has all the tropes I love so she thinks I’ll really enjoy this. Keen to find out!
- Chain of Gold: Can’t believe I haven’t read this yet. Don’t judge me!
- Sorcery of Thorns: Another book I can’t believe I haven’t read yet! I have a feeling I’m going to adore it and it’s been on so many of my TBRs. Oof.
- The Midnight Lie: I don’t know much about this book, aside from the fact that it’s a fantasy f/f, but so many of my friends on sapphic twitter adore it!
- Starworld: I loved Audrey Coulthurst’s Of Fire and Stars, and I need to read this contemporary by her.
- The Mime Order: This is the second book in The Bone Season series and I want to finish the remaining books in the series before the end of the year.
- The Kingdom of Back: I love Marie Lu’s books — her The Young Elites series is a favourite — and I’m so excited for this historical book!
- Bonds of Brass: M/M enemies to lovers set in space featuring a prince hiding his identity? YES.
- The Shadows Between Us: This book is the newest book on my TBR and I only added because I heard it was a Slytherin, enemies to lovers romance. I will be VERY disappointed if I don’t get the murdery-Slytherin vibes I’m expecting. But a lot of people on Goodreads rated this 5 stars, so I’m excited.
- The State of Us: Still can’t believe I got an ARC of this! Kind of feels like this is RWRB 2, but we’ll see.
- Boys of Alabama: I don’t know much about this but it has magical realism vibes and an m/m romance, so I’m down!
- The Intoxicating Mr. Lavelle: A historical book about a man becoming obsessed with another man … that’s all I know!
- In the Dream House: I got an ARC of this book last year and I still haven’t read it, oops!
- Slippery Creatures: I received an ARC of this by the author! I have loved every single KJ Charles book, so I’m sure I’ll feel the same!
- Three Women: I don’t know much about this book but it was recommended to me. I think it’s about three woman and their experiences with sexual assault.
- Invisible Women – Data Bias in a World Designed for Men: This is a book I’ve been wanting to read since it came out: it’s about the way this world we live in is designed for men and how deadly it is for women.
- Catch and Kill – Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators: I’m kind of scared to read this book but I feel like I need to as well. It’s about how the journalists exposed the sexual assault rampant in Hollywood.
Have you read any of these books? What books are on your TBR for this Autumn? Let me know!