At the beginning of the year, I committed to three 2018 reading challenges, plus one challenge I kind created myself, along with the annual Goodreads one. So that’s five challenges all up! Check out my original post detailing my TBRs and other info here!
This post is to check in at the nine month point (from July to the end of September) to see how well I am progressing through the challenges, and to keep myself encouraged/scare myself because I only have three months left in the year to finish the challenges. Take a look at my progress at the three month checkpoint (from January to the end of March), and the six month checkpoint (from April to the end of June).
2018 BADASS BOOKS READING CHALLENGE HOSTED BY MELLISA HAWKINS
I’ve read a total of eight books for this challenge out of the 18 challenges. Do you think I’ll be able to read 11 more books for the challenge by the end of the year? Maybe …? Probably not though.
For the past three months, I’ve only read one book for this challenge … and that’s only because I changed the book for the prompt recently because I realised I was never going to read the original book I had intended. Anyway, I read:
- Luck in the Shadows by Llyn Flewelling for the ‘A book by an author you’ve never read’ prompt. This is the first book in the Nightrunner series and a book I’ve wanted to read for years!
2018 FINISHING THE SERIES READING CHALLENGE HOSTED BY CELEBRITY READERS
Did you know what I just realised?!? I had been counting the books incorrectly for this challenge! According to the rules of the challenge, you can also include ongoing series’ where “the goal is to catch up to the most recent book published”. I hadn’t been counting those books! I had only been counting the last books in a series! So actually —
I’ve finished this challenge! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!
All up, I’ve finished (and/or caught up on the most recently published book of a series) for these series (star rating for the whole series):
- Abroad duology by Liz Jacobs (completed series) – ★★★★★
- These Vicious Masks trilogy by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas (completed series) – ★★★★
- The Montague Siblings duology by Mackenzi Lee (completed series) – ★★★★★
- Kings of Hell MC series by K.A. Merikan (caught up for 2018) – ★★★★.5
- A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas (completed immediate trilogy) – ★★★
- Green Creek series by TJ Klune (caught up for 2018) – ★★★★★
- Twisted Wishes series by Anna Zabo (caught up for 2018) – ★★★★.5
- The Lady Janies series by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows & Brodi Ashton (caught up for 2018) – ★★★★.5
- Camellia Clockwork duology by Taylor Brooke (completed series) – ★★★★
- The Underdogs trilogy by K.A. Merikan (caught up for 2018) – ★★★★
- Shatter Me series by Taherah Mafi (caught up for 2018) – ★★★★
- Creekwood series by Becky Albertalli (completed series) – ★★★★★
- Signs of Love series by Anyta Sunday (caught up for 2018) – ★★★★★
- Strange the Dreamer duology by Laini Taylor (completed series) – ★★★★★
2018 NETGALLEY AND EDELWEISS CHALLENGE HOSTED BY BOOKISH THINGS AND MORE
From January to June, I had read 26 ARCs! I had reached Level 2: Silver level for this challenge. From July to the end of September, the ARCs that I’ve read are:
- Counterpoint by Anna Zabo – ★★★★
- The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee – ★★★★★
- Gray’s Shadow by K.A. Merikan – ★★★★
- Band Sinister by KJ Charles – ★★★★★
- Sadie by Courtney Summers – ★★★★★
- Pisces Hooks Taurus by Anyta Sunday – ★★★★★
- Admiring Ash by Anyta Sunday – ★★★★
- Begging Ben by Anyta Sunday – ★★★★★
- Challenging Chance by Anyta Sunday – ★★★★★
- Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor- ★★★★★
- Thrall by Avon Gale by Roan Parrish – ★★★★
I’ve now reached 37 ARCs! 🙌🏼 So while I’m still on the silver level, I’m only 13 away from reaching the next level: Gold!
MY OWN SORT-OF CHALLENGE: #LOVEOZYA
This is another challenge where I haven’t counted properly! Not that there are any rules because this is my own challenge, but the main goal is to read Australian YA fiction by Aussie authors, and I’ve completely forgotten about some comic books I’ve read!
From July to September, I read Fence #8 and Fence #9 by C.S. Pacat and The Gorgon in the Gully and On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.
So from the beginning of the year, I’ve read
- Indigo Blue by Jessica Watson ★★★
- Sweethearts by Gemma Gilmore ★★★
- Fence #3 by C.S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad – ★★★★
- Fence #4 by C.S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad – ★★★★
- Always Human by Ari Walkingnorth (webcomic) – ★★★★
- Fence #5 by C.S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad – ★★★★
- Fence #6 by C.S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad – ★★★★
- The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl by Melissa Keil – ★★★
- On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (read twice this year) – ★★★★★
- Fence #7 by C.S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad – ★★★★
- Gemina (Illuminae, #2) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff – ★★★★★
- Fence #8 by C.S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad – ★★★★
- Fence #9 by C.S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad – ★★★★★
- The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (this is MG but I’m counting it) – ★★★★★
- Fence #10 by C.S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad – ★★★★★
Stay tuned: I might be creating a year-long reading challenge centred around Aussie fiction for 2019. It will have categories and you get to choose the books you want, but I’ll put up heaps of recommendations. Please let me know if you would be interested!
At the beginning of the year, I set myself a goal of reading 100 books for 2018. I’ve reached …
Holy crap!! Since the last check-in in June, I’ve read an extra 41 books!! That’s pretty amazing if I do say so myself! Although, let’s be honest, I haven’t paid much attention to uni and I also haven’t watched much TV because I’ve read so much. But, hey, I’m pretty happy with this challenge!
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY PROGRESS SO FAR? HAVE YOU JOINED ANY READING CHALLENGES FOR 2018? LET ME KNOW!